Abraham Louis DeMoss, of noble Huguenot ancestry and a Revolutionary War Captain from North Carolina moved to this area in the late 1700s. On July 28, 1800 he purchased 150 acres of land overlooking the Harpeth River where he had built his log cabin on a knoll overlooking the river, (just off Morton Mill Road). He called it Belle Vue, French for Beautiful View.
His wife and at least some of his nine children occupied the cabin with him. He built a sawmill, a grist mill, and a blacksmith shop, the beginnings of the thriving community that eventually took its name from his cabin.
After several generations the cabin fell into a state of disrepair. Wanting to preserve the history of the cabin, descendants of DeMoss, through Frank Carter, his wife, Dolores Hutchison Carter and children donated the cabin to the Bellevue Harpeth Historic Association.
The cabin was dismantled, all pieces labeled, and reassembled at the location at Red Caboose Park.